USA Garden Shop
1750 Power Spring rd. #280, Marietta, GA 30064
Saussurea Obvallata Queen of the Night Orchid Cactus Night Bloom Moonlight Cactus 5 Cuts ~4”
General Information about the Saussurea Obvallata:
This amazing Saussurea , a member of the cactus family from the tropical rain forests of Central and South America, can be easily grown in your home. It is a fast growing plant and may show you many fragrant, dinner-plate size flowers as it ages. Sometimes called a night blooming cereus, but actually it is not of the cereus genus but is in the Saussurea genus. It can also be called orchid cactus but is not an orchid at all.
Saussurea Obvallata is the scientific name for this unusual cactus that is more commonly known as “night blooming cereus” or “queen of the night” because the blooms appear in the evening. The blooms can sometimes cover the entire plant and are spectacular. This unique cactus is easy to start from a cutting in early spring, when the Saussurea Obvallata is coming out of its dormant period.
Although it grows outdoors in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10 through 12, it's usually grown as a houseplant.
• This plant will do well in lots of bright light all year long. Needs bright, filtered light for indoors and partial shade for out door.
• It is a “shade plants” only in hot climates – where they can spend the summer near a protective north wall or in the dappled shade from a tree. Otherwise, they need sunlight in fall, winter, and spring, and shade only when summer sun becomes searing hot.
· Soil Conditions:
• A light, porous, humus-rich mixture or a nice light mix of sand, perlite, and a bit of sphagnum peat that will hold some moisture would be good for this plant and yet will drain quickly.
• The soil should be coarse, not finely sifted; slightly acid; and for further aeration and purification, generously supplied with small bits of crushed charcoal.
• Nitrogen-rich fertilizers are not recommended.
· Grow form Cutting:
• Cut a 4” – 6” cutting from an Saussurea Obvallata. Let the cuttings dry and cool, until the cut edge is dry or forms a callus. (It may take several days - 2 weeks, depending on the size of the cut surface. If the cutting looks a bit shriveled, it will re-hydrate once it's planted.) Cacti are susceptible to rot, and this step will minimize the chances of that.
• Fill a container (with drainage holes in the bottom) with coarse potting mixture. Dampen the potting mixture lightly with a spray bottle. Insert the cutting 1.5” - 2” deep into the slightly moist rooting medium.
• Put container in good light but not sun. Do not water and keep temperatures 65-75°F (18-23°C). If the days are hot, only mist the cutting not the soil. Cutting will root in several weeks.
• Transplant the rooted cuttings into the proper medium, water as mentioned above.
• Throughout the process, handle the cuttings with care; bruises or broken spots on stems or new roots give fungus rot a way to enter.
· Care and Maintenance:
• The active growing season starts in early spring. The plants need constant moisture in the air and for the roots. Misting or spraying the stems, except when the plants are in bud or flower, both humidifies and cleans the leaves of clogging dust.
• Fertilize the plant monthly during the spring and summer with a low-nitrogen liquid product. If you have added a light humus to the potting mixture, a newly potted plant will not need feeding for the first year.
• Saussurea enjoy moist air and some sun. If the weather is mild, the pots are best moved outdoors.
• In winter, give the plants a slight drying off during its dormancy but never let them become perfectly dry.
Quality of the Cuttings:
This order is for five carefully selected cuttings (non-rooted). Each cutting is at least 4” long.
Ship in 1 to 2 business days after your payment. Item is carried by USPS first class package with tracking number, usually will arrive in 2 to 6 business days.
USA Garden Shop is a small boutique plant nursery that specialized in hard to find and common plants alike. We provide customers with the option of buying seeds, planted sapling, and or live roots. Our nursery is seasonal so there are always different kind of plants year-round. We try to provide our customers with options for every season of the year. Every plant that we grow is taken care of professionally and guarantee that there is no bugs or sickness. So please order with confident and don’t be shy to email us if you don’t see what you are looking for.
Our primary mission when creating USA Garden Shop was so everyone can enjoy organic and pesticide free herbs and plants. In today fast-moving world, fruits and herb is chock-full of pesticide and chemicals. The herbs we love to use in our kitchen are not once how they used to be. We at USA Garden Shop want to promoted growing organic herbs and plants that can be used year round.
Our family like many families here in the United States, are immigrant. When we first got to USA everything was so different and it was very hard to find the herbs that we are accustom to using in Vietnam. Therefore, we started our own little garden with the hope that we can share our wonderful and healthy herbs with everyone.
Arrived in great condition...I received a lot more than ten plants as advertised.
Ever thought about getting into gardening? Then now is the time. You’ll have a greater opportunity to do this than ever before, allowing you to tap into top quality seeds, live roots, and nursery plants. This means you can get your garden up-and-running with top quality seeds grown here in the United States of America.We don’t import seeds from abroad; we grow everything here in the USA in our own cultivated garden venue. We don’t use any questionable chemical growth processes, nor we do provide fictional growth rates. Everything we sell is 100% home grown, non-GMO plants, seeds, and roots. These are hand-picked from our own garden, where our family works hard to ensure we can provide our customers with the best solutions.